The Graduate School offers a two-year master’s program intended to offer education and to provide academically-based skills training. It targets those who wish to study contemporary issues arising locally, regionally, and globally as various aspects of society are being globalized.
One of our objectives is to nurture human resources equipped with globally relevant skills; specifically, 1) the expertise to understand and analyze both international and regional realities impacting East Asia (Russia, China and South Korea), and 2) an advanced communicative competence in English. Besides, the School is ready to accept students regardless of their local and national origins and is well prepared for providing knowledge and skills for those interested in our program.
In-depth knowledge about the international community, especially East Asian countries, considerable policy analysis skills, and communication skills in English in order to pursue careers that require a high degree of specialization or to engage in further academic research.
The curriculum aims to help students to acquire highly specialized knowledge and skills, and to develop the abilities necessary for highly specialized careers or research activities. In addition, a study extension system is made to take care of the needs of working students. To equip students with the abilities mentioned in the Diploma Policy, an interdisciplinary curriculum consisting of the following three specialized streams and academic foreign language subjects is constructed.
- In the International Society Courses, students will not only learn basic concepts and theories of international relations, but also how to analyze practical problems and policies.
- In the Regional International Relations Courses, students will learn how to analyze the interactions between individual countries, regional problems and regional systems, by virtue of the knowledge of individual countries in the region and comparing interstate relations in different regional contexts.
- In the Comparative Country Research Courses, students will engage in detailed analysis of East Asian countries (Japan, Russia, China, South Korea) in the aspects of politics, economy, and society.
- In the Academic Foreign Language Courses, students will acquire the ability to smoothly carry out discussions and dissertation writing in English.
The Graduate School welcomes students of diverse backgrounds. Through various types of admissions exams, we accept those who are interested in the program, regardless of place of origin and nationality. They are expected to enroll in our educational program in accordance with our Diploma Policy and Curriculum Policy and to have the following qualities and proactive attitudes.
- Those who have acquired specialized knowledge and skills with a specialized focus in major in the bachelor’s degree and a certain level of English proficiency.
- As a member of the university’s research community, those who respect and can communicate smoothly with others and contribute to research activities.
- Those who are ready to engage in independent thinking and to learn autonomously from a global perspective with a flexible attitude.
Triple-layered groups of course
The Graduate School offers three groups of courses to study international society, international relations in East Asia, and political economy of individual countries. To address problems in the globalized society, we are required to have wide scope and knowledge and understand regional international relations and political economy of individual countries. Unlike existing graduate programs, we aim to systematically study and teach these multilayered fields.
Academic language courses
The Graduate School offers academic language courses for oral exchange and professional writing. Through these courses, students are expected to acquire English communication skills and to take a lively part in the global community.
- The Graduate School of International Studies and Regional Development offers the following degree:
- Master of Arts in International Studies and Regional Development